Buttermilk Drop Scones with Ginger
recipe from The Joy of Cooking
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1 cup non-fat buttermilk
3 1/2 tbsp melted, warm butter
1/2 cup chopped candied ginger (or dried fruit of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Wisk together dry indredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Wisk together wet ingredients and candied ginger, then pour all at once into dry ingredients.
- Mix with a fork just until the dry ingredients are moistened. The dough will be quite sticky. Use a soup spoon or ice cream scoop to drop the dough in mounds about 2 1/2 inches wide one inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake until the tops are golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack.