This cake is so easy, it would be a great one to make if you're cooking with a child or someone else who's just beginning. Spicy, moist, and just right on the first real, cool day of fall. Happy New Year, everyone.
Apple Spice Cake
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk (sub: 1 tbsp white vinegar and 1 cup plain milk)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped apple (about 1 apple)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Lightly grease and flour an 8 x 8 inch pan, or line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 deg.
- Whisk the first seven ingredients (flour through salt) together in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and stir together until combined and smooth.
- Mix in the apples and walnuts.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack about 10 minutes. Slide a thin knife around the cake to detach it from the pan, and invert it onto a plate. Peel off the parchment paper, if using. Let cool right side up on the rack.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or brandied whipped cream, or just on its own.
Adapted from The Joy of Cooking.