Cooking for two is boring -- I want to cook for the entire blogosphere!

Friday, August 17

Summer Bean Salad with Lime Vinaigrette


I've been making a variation of this salad all summer. I don't think I've ever actually made it as directed below, but it's the kind of thing that lends itself to variation. I love the crunch of cucumber, the sweetness of fresh corn, and the sweet-tartness of fresh summer tomatoes. The part that pulls the recipe together is the yummy lime vinaigrette. The proportions are spot on and this is a great way to use up limes if, like me, you bought 15 one day when they were on sale at 15/$1.


Summer Bean Salad with Lime Vinaigrette

Salad
3/4 cup uncooked small macaroni
1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
3/4 cup diced peeled avocado
1/2 cup chopped seeded poblano chile
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/3 cup chopped red onion
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
Vinaigrette
2 tsp lime zest
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic (3/4 tsp), minced
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground red pepper

  • Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool completely.
  • Combine the tomatoes, avocado, poblano, cucumber, onion, cilantro, and beans in a medium bowl, stirring to combine.
  • Combine zest, juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt & pepper in small bowl, whisking well. Add pasta and lime vinaigrette to veggie mixture; toss to combine.
*From Cooking Light magazine

2 comments:

Adventurous Twenty-Something said...

I remember that day! Is the picture also from cooking light or is it one of yours? Because it looks so purty!! I'm aiming to get back in the kitchen this week and make something besides soup or pasta . . . we'll see

Unknown said...

It's my picture, thanks for the compliment!