Cooking for two is boring -- I want to cook for the entire blogosphere!

Thursday, October 4

Portobello Mushroom Spaghetti

I want to say thanks to my pal at On the Hob for rescuing me from my dining dilemma tonight: what to do with the giant Portobello mushroom I bought? Couldn't stuff it, couldn't make a sandwich, no point in roasting... Her solution? Saute it with a little balsamic vinegar. It worked like a charm. I added zucchini (or courgette as some people I know like to say), tomatoes, and Italian parsley and served it over spaghetti. Here's how the whole thing turned out:




It was quite a nice dinner, and I liked using up odds and ends that were already in the fridge and cupboard. I also have to thank Jamie Oliver for the pasta serving suggestion that appears in this month's Gourmet: swirl the spaghetti in a ladle or large spoon and then plate. It was so much easier than shlurping with a fork or tongs and looked pretty, too. It's nice to see something in Gourmet that's actually practical and useful for the home cook and not just theoretical inspiration...

1 comment:

Adventurous Twenty-Something said...

Love it!!! I'm so glad you had a delicious meal to enjoy and I guess it doesn't hurt that it was easy to make! Great pictures, there's a book on my wish list about food photography. I think I might put it on my christmas list for when I have played around with my new camera a little bit. Speaking of which, this weekend is a cooking weekend!